By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, took heed and constructed an ark for the saving of his household; by this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness which comes by faith.Hebrews 11:7 RSV
The Lord’s church is often called the “ark of safety,” and a number of analogies support such a comparison:
(1) Both were built according to specifications provided by God himself.
(2) God closed and opened the door of the ark; and God alone opens or closes the door of his church, there being only one in each case (Revelation 3:7).
(3) Both clean and unclean were in the ark; and alas, both wheat and tares grow in the same field (Matthew 13:26).
(4) Safety was in the ark alone; and so it is with the church.
(5) The faithful within the ark were delivered from the ruin of the ancient world; the faithful within the church shall be delivered from the final destruction of the world.
(6) The ark had one window, one source of light; the church has one source of spiritual illumination, the word of God only.
(7) God providentially guided the ark to its destination; and, in the great antitype, the church is providentially guided in the same way, as promised by Christ who promised to be with his disciples “always, even unto the end of the world” (Matthew 28:18-20).